Opening PR Campaign for The Yan, Grasmere
A family-run ‘bistro with beds’ in Grasmere offering guests a wholesome welcome, hearty food and stylish interiors.
69 pieces of generated coverage
25 pieces of national coverage both online and print
Three separate pieces in The Times alone as well as three separate pieces in The Guardian
“We have been amazed at how much interest they have already generated with the media and it’s a real pleasure to work with the whole team”
Dave, Co-Owener of The Yan
We first started working with The Yan in April 2019. The Yan being a new hotel in the area and having never used a PR agency before, we worked closely with the team to guide and explain each element of the process all while ensuring we gained maximum results during their opening months.
- To build a strong PR presence during the lead up to The Yan’s opening and its launch, both nationally and regionally.
- To gain national and regional press coverage after The Yan’s opening in publications with a relevant readership.
- To ensure key messaging was focused on The Yan being family-run, with a wholesome welcome, brilliant service, contemporary touches and hearty food.
- To aim for the high-end but not luxury market as the key audience, to reflect the accommodation – solid, comfortable yet stylish, but not hugely expensive.
- Work to drive local traffic to the restaurant by engaging local press focusing on the rustic atmosphere of the bistro and the sharing plate features within the menu.
- One Little Bird worked with The Yan to build a list of key phrases and terminology which has since become their identity. We also worked with The Yan to create a list of key publication targets.
- Using the approved terminology, we created a number of targeted press releases to ensure the relevant information went to the right journalists and publications.
- To ensure maximum impact, we created a timeline of these press releases prior to The Yan’s opening to ensure we had great coverage and awareness across long-lead and short-lead press in local publications, national consumer publications and in trade publications both in the lead up to the opening, the week of the opening and beyond.
- We then started inviting specific journalists to visit ensuring we focused on national newspapers and publications in the wishlist we created with The Yan – we particularly wanted to engage top critics, writers/editors.
- We also worked to create a steady pipeline of coverage and press awareness over the following months looking at a range of angles relevant to The Yan’s offering.
From 3rd April to 13th December 2019 we have achieved the following results for The Yan:
- 69 pieces of coverage
- 25 pieces of national coverage both online and print, including hotel reviews in The Times, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian and The Mail on Sunday as well as coverage in Lonely Planet, The Sunday Times Travel Magazine, The Week, Great British Food Magazine and British Travel Journal.
- Three separate pieces in The Times alone as well as three separate pieces in The Guardian.
- Food-focused travel pieces in Delicious, BBC Good Food, Olive Magazine and Sainsbury’s Magazine.
- A restaurant review by food critic Grace Dent in The Guardian.
- 17 pieces of local and regional coverage.
- 24 press visits arranged including stays from The Times, The Sunday Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Mail on Sunday, i, Daily Mail, Fabulous Magazine (The Sun), The Sun, Daily Express, Manchester Evening News, Liverpool Echo, Prima, Stylist, Delicious, BBC Good Food, Olive Magazine and Sainsbury’s Magazine.
From The Yan:
“It was a big step and a major investment for our small business to use a PR company having always been slightly sceptical of PR agencies. We contacted a few but immediately felt comfortable with One Little Bird when we first met with them. It felt like they really understood what we were tryign to achieve and were as passionate about our new business venture as we were. We have been amazed at how much interest they have already generated with the media and it’s a real pleasure to work with the whole team”